Early Inland Explorers by Helen Chapman
- On August 1844 Charles Sturt set off on his fourth major expedition. Three hundred men applied to join the expedition. Why do you think this was?
- The colonial government had instructions from Britain to treat indigenous people fairly. Why then did they force them from their land?
- By helping some explorers indigenous people actually helped British colonisation. What would have happened if the British had not received their help?
iPad task: Write a new blurb for this book. Include any facts that you have learnt.
Often students complain that they don’t have a book to read, or that they don’t know any good novels or chapter books to read.
For homework this week we would like you to write a “Recommend to a friend” review, recommending a book to the Grade 5 students that you have enjoyed (see below for details of what to include). Even after this week of homework, feel free to have a look back over the reviews to find a new book to read, you might like to even add a new review after you have finished another book. Don’t forget to check out all of the Grade 5 blogs for book suggestions.
Enjoying what you read is really important! If you’re not enjoying a book, then it is hard to finish it. When you enjoy what you reading, it encourages you to continue to read AND to read nightly! We expect that you read 30 minutes every night in Grade Five – and record in your Reading Diary App.
Image from: readalert.blogs.slv.vic.gov.au
Each comment must include:
1. The title and author of the book
2. A SUMMARY of what the book is about (not giving away any crucial information) – be sure to include genre
3. Reasons WHY you would recommend it to a friend
4. A star rating out of 5 stars
It’s time to…
Please write your recommendations as a comment on 5M’s blog.
Don’t forget to make sure they are ‘G’ rated and are great songs to have a boogie to 🙂
Do you have a DVD that you’d like to watch on the bus to camp?
If you are able to lend any DVDs, write your name on the case, and bring them to room 19. (DVDs must be rated G or PG)
We will watch the following BTN video as a class. In partners, answer the following questions in Pages on your iPad (both students will need to answer them on Pages).
1. When is Australia Day?
2. Complete the following sentence: The day marks the anniversary of…
3. Describe life in Britain in the 1700s.
4. Why were prisoners transported to the colonies?
5. What sorts of crimes were committed by people who were transported?
6. How many ships transported convicts in the First Fleet?
7. What do you think life would have been like on board the ships in the First Fleet?
8. New _______________ was the name give to mainland Australia.
9. Who was the commander chosen to lead the colony?
10. Name three facts you learnt watching the BtN First Fleet story.
Then.. write a comment on behalf of your pair in regards to question 7.
YES there is going to be a red faces night this year on camp and Miss Anderson is organising it! For those of you who don’t know, Red Faces is a talent show where students can enter by themselves or in a group and perform an act to everyone! If you would like to participate in Red Faces there are a few things you need to remember.
Your act must be rehearsed and prepared for by the beginning of the camp. There will be no time during camp to practice.
You will not have extra time during class to prepare your act. These preparations need to be done in your own time.
If you are doing a dance then why not ask Mr. Rhodes if you can use his CD player at recess or lunchtime, as no students are allowed on the deck during recess and lunchtime.
All students need to bring their own music (if needed) and give to Miss Anderson (with their name on it AND song number) and they will need to bring any other items that are necessary for their act.
Remember that all acts and songs need to be appropriate – with the aim of entertaining the audience and making sure that everyone has a great time!
Also there needs to be a RED FACES HOST. This person will run the Red Faces competition and introduce each act. The Red Faces host will need to audition for this role. Auditions will be held next week on Wednesday 21st of May in Miss Anderson’s Room. If you have any questions come see Miss Anderson in room 36 or write a comment on her grade blog.
There will be sign up sheets out the front of Miss May and Mr. Richardson’s room for Red Faces Acts and for Red Faces Host Auditions.
Your task is to use either Keynote or Comic Life to create a narrative and a persuasive writing poster.
Be creative and have fun!